Tuesday 14 July 2015

my arms are numb, but it’s almost done!


Man, who knew painting the walls would be such a strenuous job! After two coats of paint my wrists are limp and my hands locked into gnarly claws. The following night I woke up a few times to find half of my body completely numb, no amount of wild flailing could revive it. My mom thinks it is because I have exercised parts of my body that I don’t normally use, I think I was having a stroke, but whatever. Either way, I guess I need to start using my body more. Good thing I’ll be embarking on a career where I sit indoors for hours on end, that’ll help!  


beginning of the day, robust and positive!


After ditching the terrible beige- peach colour on the walls in favour of white, the space feels more….real. The menagerie of furniture I’ve collected seems to look more at home. I would say 80% of the furniture and fixtures in the store have either been sourced from my parent’s basement, assorted garage sales or the elderly couple across the street that keep leaving awesome stuff on their curb. Ain’t no shame in that game! Super neat industrial furniture and church bazaar tables!? Don’t mind if I do. My neighbors have unwittingly contributed significantly to the Lakeshore Superette aesthetic of displaced furniture.                          

My father, aka head carpenter and chief executive builder of everything, has been a real sport! The remaining 20% of furniture and fixtures that we didn’t find for a dollar in someone’s driveway or in the trash were made by him. Shout out! And shout out to my mother who has been working tirelessly by my side since we were picking potential store names out of the dictionary at the kitchen table months ago. It’s kind of an amazing thing when the visions you have for how you want things to be become realized, you know what I mean? Amazing!







The excitement has kind of stalled for the moment, as the mundane details need to be tended to. If I had a nickel for every hour I’ve wasted this week waiting around for internet installation people, I’d probably be able to pay off the charges I’ve racked up overusing the data on my phone. Word of advice, never accept the 2pm-5pm waiting period, it is the most excruciatingly tedious part of the day to be sitting around doing nothing.  I have a diatribe brewing inside of me about all the foolery I’ve experienced at the hands of an unnamed internet provider, but I’ll save it for another time when they slight me again, which I know they will.

With the way things are going, I figure the target opening time will be August, just around the corner! I need to mentally prepare myself. I guess I also need to brush up on my ability to talk to people, such as it was. More updates soon!



xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment