Friday 17 April 2015

what’s in a name….


So, what’s my concept you may ask? Well, I’m thinking a heady mixture of old and new! I figure if you throw around words like ‘curated’ people usually go for that kind of thing. Over the weekend my brother, an unofficial shopping pro, took me scouting for merchandise for my invisible store. He’s a type-A, go get em’ kind of guy, and I am quite the opposite. On our travels he is asking me perfectly legitimate questions, you know, the usual…what’s your idea? What’s your business plan? Have you contacted real estate agents yet, made appointments, made connections? Etc. And like the consummate professional aspiring business woman I am, I snapped my gum like a surly teen and groused, I don’t know, quit hasslin’ me man. At the end of our day we had amassed quite the collection, a whole station wagon full of shopping bags. As a neophyte to basically everything, the confidence I have in my decision making is in a constant state of ebb and flow. I viewed this budding collection more with anxiety than optimism. What am I supposed to do with all of this shit now? If this thing goes tits up then I’m stuck with all of this stuff AND a mounting credit card bill.


After getting the stuff home and seeing it in the light of day, some of it is unexpectedly awesome and some are duds. How did I miss this huge wine stain on the sleeve? Why didn't I notice the inside of this purse smells like an ashtray? Things that looked massive are deceptively small. So, now I've got piles and piles of stuff, just sitting there, waiting. Our guest bedroom smells like a Salvation Army, it’s like all of the clothes have combined forces to create a super musk of sorts.

    
As for a name, this has been a bit of a bugaboo from the get-go. I have my heart set on the Lakeshore Village neighbourhood of Etobicoke, so the word Lakeshore has been a prominent element in all of the brainstorming. Maybe I’m putting my cart before the horse, as I have no physical store, and may not even be able to find a store ON Lakeshore, but dammit I’m jazzed! After thumbing through the thesaurus, the dictionary, pulling words out of the sky, my ass and other dark places, I seem to be stuck on the word superette, which essentially means super-market, store, whatever. I don’t know why, I just find it…cute. Simply put, cute. It makes me think of eyelet lace and French people on bicycles.

My mother on the other hand, does not find it so cute. Upon hearing it, my sweet superette was met with stony silence and a passive-aggressive, ‘well, if YOU like it…’ She went as far as to call it too vague and hokey! HOKEY? Come on. As she is essentially my only sounding board for anything these days, I was obviously devastated, as I thought I really hit the nail on the head with this one. But, I choose to remain defiant, Superette it is, and Superette it shall be! Until maybe I get a third opinion….



xx

6 comments:

  1. Dear T, love the business initiative, love the blog initiative, love the snappy writing. Okay, that's three really good things, and I'm sure that there's more on the way. Oddly, your blog startup coincides with a blog startup of my own: http://essenceasmedia.org/

    All the best,

    G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, already another good thing, love the name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to consider writing as well. You're phenomenal and have me actually lol'ing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Hilary and Uncle G :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How Exciting! Good luck on your adventure Teagan. If you're ever looking for a shopping buddy, I'm in.
    From: Shannon, a quasi-official shopping pro (and a friend of that type A brother of yours)

    ReplyDelete